United Way of Rockland works to improve people's health.
- Increasing health education and preventive care
- Increasing access to costly prescription drugs
- Helping culturally diverse individuals connect with culturally competent services
Our focus area in Health is Family Support:
- Assisting our Aging Population: Frail or chronically ill seniors who are not Medicaid eligible are provided funds to defray the cost of Home care while being given skills to live at home. Home Aides of Rockland directly supports this initiative in collaboration with TOUCH (Together Our Unity Can Heal).
- Family Supports for Caregivers: Providing caregivers with the skills necessary to maintain their own physical and mental well-being while caring foran aging adult. Meals on Wheels of Rockland directly supports this initiative in collaboration with Home Aides of Rockland and the Rockland County Oﬂice for the Aging.
- Culturally Competent Counseling: Designed to provide access to counseling and social support services to culturally marginalized people in underserved communities. Volunteer Counseling Service in collaboration with the Haitian American Cultural Social Organization supports this initiative.
- Independent Living Initiative: Focuses on vision rehabilitation services that include independent living skills for blind and visually impaired residents. Association for the Visually lmpaired directly supports this initiative in collaboration with RSVP (Retired Senior Volunteer Program of Rockland County)
- Community Re-entry Program: A program designed to build skills in the areas of conflict resolution, parenting and career counseling forwomen who have been incarcerated. Creative Response to Conﬂict directly supports this initiative in collaboration with the Rockland Parent Child Center and RSVP (Retired Senior Volunteer Program of Rockland).
- FamilyWize: Provides free prescription discount cards offering significant savings forthose without insurance orwho cannot afford prescription drugs. The United Way in Collaboration with the FamilyWize Community Partnership.